Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Good girl gone better©


There is a slight dispute regarding the actual place of origin. According to Afrika Bambaataa: "A lot of people always think it (rap) started in the South Bronx, but officially it came from the West Bronx, ‘cause Kool Herc (credited with being the first rapper), was from that area. Then it came over to the South Bronx with myself and [Grandmaster] Flash."




The story of rap music has a clear and concise beginning. We will explore that beginning with one of the main personalities in rap, Russell Simmons, who is considered the godfather of rap. Mr. Simmons explains: "I think it was a lot of kids rebelling against dance music, disco music. I think in the 70s it was an industry music, producers’ music, and made for the people by producers who decided what people should have. Rap music was a rebellion by the people to assert what they were really looking for and they weren’t getting it from the producers. The producers and their companies were too far away from the streets.

The people just created something for themselves.Right now it’s [rap music] in a situation that is the form of those kids that are out there in the streets, who are not making it in a Reagan upsurge. That shows what true Black kids are talking about. It’s in an infant stage right now, and more and more it’s becoming more musical. So the rap will meet the music, and the music will meet the rap. But it’s there and that’s those people, it’s not the Volvo crowd. It’s not the middle class. Those are street Black kids talking through this rap music. That will be, in the next three years, once they start uniting with the musical side of it; that will turn out to be the renaissance for Black music again in this country."

At the inception of rap, music professionals did not take it seriously and music scholars dismissed it completely. Little did they know that what the youth were creating represented a revolution in music, and like it or not, without rap music today, the music industry would be in a financial depression and hundreds of industry employees would be laid off, as they were in the late 1970s. -Kwaku Person-Lynn, Ph.D.(2001)


Rap's origins stretch far back to African oral tradition; it has a more immediate predecessor in the spoken-word expressionism of 60s activists like the Last Poets, or LeRoi Jones (later known as Amiri Baraka), who performed activist poetry over the New York Art Ensemble's free jazz. But it was in the early 70s, in New York's inner-city neighborhoods in the Bronx and Brooklyn, that mcs began rapping spoken rhymes about street life to the beat of dj-manipulated drum machines and turntables. Break dancers and graffiti artists provided a dramatic and colorful visual style to accompany the beats and narratives, and a subculture was born.The music was also used to express feelings and criticize the government, life standards and society. Gangs in the ghettos of big American cities stopped fighting with weapons and started fighting with rhymes.History: Rap evolved from African people in general and black people born in the U.S. in particular. Its origins can be traced to West Africa where tribesmen worshipped "men of words". Later when slaves were brought to America, they mixed American music with the beats they remembered from Africa. Another origin of rap is a form of Jamaican folk stories called "toasts."


These are narrative poems that tell stories in rhyme. Over a hundred years later, rapping was a street art. Rap began in inner-city schoolyards and street corners in the 1970's.Types of Rap:Old School (1979-1984):The first defined period in the history of rap became known as Old School. The most important artists of this time were also the ones who shaped the rap music to what it is today.


These were among others: KOOL DJ HERC, GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE, AFRIKA BAMBAATAA, JAZZY FIVE, SOUL SONIC FORCE, THE TREACHEROUS THREE, SPOONIE G., KURTIS BLOW, GRANDMIXER DST, COLD CRUSH BROTHERS, FAB FIVE FREDDY, GRANDMASTER CAZ, BEASY BEE, KOOL MOE D., DJ RED ALERT, JAZZY JEFF, LIL RODNEY CEE, SHA ROCK, FANTASTIC FREAKS. In the years of 1983/84, rap had its first stylistic crisis; lots of the published songs that were very similar as they worked all with the same limited beat boxes. The selling numbers sank and it looked like rap would stop being popular. This was the reason why the artists searched for other styles. The new style they came up with was the New School.


New School (since 1984/85)In the beginnings of the 80’s the digital samplers got cheap enough for everybody to use. Now it was possible to sample complex drum loops and old funk records without having to use syntactic beats. Rap music sounded now more natural and got more musical complexity. It was during this time, that rap music got its wide range that reached from the apocalyptic tracks by Public Enemy all the way to love songs by LL COOl J. New School also came into life on the east coast, and was, like Old School, mainly a phenomenon of New York.West Coast (since 1980)The rap on the west coast took a completely different road of evolution. Its centre was LA.


The history of west coast rap started in 1980, when the SUGAR HILL GANG had a major brake through with their song "Rapper’s Delight". In most of the text from the west coast, the brutal life of blacks that live in ghettos is described and that was what made this kind of rap popular, but it also cast the light of criticism on the texts.


The songs were always compared to the rapper. One who talks about brutality, so people thought, must also be brutal. Today, the west coast rap is probably even more wide-spread than the old, or new school style. It is richer and the rappers have made themselves a name: ICE T, DR DRE, WARREN G., ICE CUBE, HOUSE OF PAIN, CYPRESS HILL, DIGITAL UNDERGROUND YOUNG MC and many more.- Source,Google!


Good girl gone better!©


I really intended to bore you a bit with that history before you get to my thang on this! So if you scaled through to this point without giving up on this note, thenI have composed a couple of songs (never wrote them down when they came), so I cant hold claim to any! The thing just escapes it it comes. It's all good though... Guess I dont wanna get seriuos with that side of moi!


However,I am a lover of (good) music. Almost a fantastic fanatic!This is my very first (official/unofficial attempt at a song)


N.B:Lara, you never knew I loved rap, guess I never told you tho!lol Or did I?

Subomi, remember the half of stuffs I would have done if the courage was there? I guess I don dey get small liver o.lol! I Would perform this to any live audience! lol!


Plumbline, na you I dey follow o.lol! Your recent take on the Game thingy! You are an inspiration,sir.


Holarmeday(see me for payments), thanks for posting Da' T.R.U.T.H. & ultimatley introducing me to his ministry. One would think say na him papa farm big pass until he reach under person papa farm. Tx sir!


Chuks, see wetin I don do o sake of say I got Da'T.R.U.T.H?


Dro, tell me what you think to this (un) collabo? lol!


Without further ado...DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DO TO ME- BY XSCAPE Featuring Awemoreborelanlay!©


*NO collabos here o. *I cant afford 'em yet. Dro, feeling me?*


Do you know what you do to me(x4)

Chorus:When you say it

Do you know what you do to me?

Do you know what you do to me?

When you sing it,

Do you know what you do to me?

Do you know what you do to me?

When you tell me

Do you know what you do to me

Do you know what you do to me?

When you reel it

Do you know what you do to me

Do you know what you do to me?

When the rhyming slangs fall in place and you rap it out fast ,

Do you know what you do to me?


Verse 1

Most people get tickled by so many things

Some by money

Some by beauty

Some by fame

Some by the mention of the name

Some even by da voice

Some even get the battery -charge by the tickle

Just hearing you reel it out that fast makes me ask ...


Chorus

Do you know what you do to me

Do you know what you do to me?

When you sing it,

Do you know what you do to me?

Do you know what you do to me?

When you tell me

Do you know what you do to me

Do you know what you do to me?

When you reel 'em

Do you know what you do to me

Do you know what you do to me?

When the(clean) rhyming slangs fall in place and you rap it out fast ,

Do you know what you do to me?


Verse 2: rap *maybe*


If this is some indulging for a single sis'

Then I really wanna indulge

Cos am sure this sure feels good!

One thing am sure of tho is that am ready to wait till holy matrimony

before this really turns into some unholy acrimony

do you know what you do to me?

stop it !

cos I like it!


Bridge: (spoken)*maybe*

When you reel them in my ears

It sure tickles me

WHen u reel the words out that fast

it makes me wanna gasp out fast

I know it

That when you rap out loud

It makes me wanna shout out loud

I really laugh out loud when you do your thing

Baby, that is the kind of thing you do to me!


Outro.

Do you know what you do to me,

Do you know what you do to me?(repeat x4)

Till fade!


*Like I said, it is just an attempt. More like this note interupted another note (in the brewery of my mind)*lol!


What say you to this (un) collabo!


Awemoreborelanlay©

20022009

No comments: