Tuesday, March 10, 2009

When Awemoreborelanlay went searching phobias


I had just recovered from suffering a stomach upset which I believe came up as a result of food poisoning. So,when I got better and went about in my search for daily knowledge(I like to learn something new per day,try it ,it reduces ignorance!),I went straight to a friend's profile page,his profile status actually got me attracted to his page this day! Plumbline sir,you challenge me!On his page a rather long word struck me and reminded me of Rumplestiltkin,lol! The jaw -breaking effect that one had then! Well, When I saw the word,Triskaidekaphobia , I knew this was gonna contribute to my search for something new this day: Then I tried pronouncing it?! lol! Jaw -breaking infact jaw-shifting would be more like it,I tell you!lol!

So I went straight to my fav search engine,Google and it brought out all kinds of other phobias ,I mean,loads of 'em!By the way,Triskaidekaphobia is also called or known as friggatriskaidekaphobia! I was like, What?! 'Ode to an obsurantist phobia!' (apologies) lol! So,I was just thinking...It wont be a bad idea to read up on all of them and then share some with you.


Please dont get it twisted. Because I walk with God, I do not believe or harbour phobias,but I understand that they exist and that people deal with 'em! I just wanna simply inform ,educate and prolly entertain you! I found some of them simply amusing! It is actually in no small measure some big deal! lol! Lord have mercy!


Here goes( a few though)


1.Triskaidekaphobia (from Greek tris=three, kai=and, deka=ten) is fear of the number 13; it is a superstition and related to a specific fear of Friday the 13th, called paraskevidekatriaphobia or friggatriskaidekaphobia.


My add: This is the one that actually got me searching for the rest. Today is supposed to be dat kinda day! BuT I dare say, it is just sounds liek the gibberish dat is REAlly is!This is the day that the Lord has made& I will rejoice and be gald in it! I refer you to google to read up more on the origin of this particular phobia.


2.Lipophobia refers to avoidance of fats in food.In the United States the onset of the "national eating disorder" of lipophobia dates to 1977 when the nutritional guidelines titled "Dietary Goals for the United States" were announced and the red meat scare started.


My add: lol! Isnt it simply amazing that some ppl avoid fats when some dont even have enough to eat? hmmmn... Also,This phobia actually makes a mockery of (not) me but the stomach upset I suffered some hrs ago! Naahh..I dont do phobias,Lipo! So ,go find ur victim elsewhere! But truth be told,my eating habits has been awful these past days.It is either am not eating well at all or I just negleted my fruit eating habits! God help me,and pls does any1 know where all the apples av gone in Lagos? Bottom line: eat right to live right!


3.Neophobia is the fear of new things or experiences. It is also called cainotophobia.In psychology, neophobia is defined as the persistent and abnormal fear of anything new. In its milder form, it can manifest as the unwillingness to try new things or break from routine. Mild manifestations are often present in young children (who want the small portion of the confusing world that they "know" to remain constant) and elderly people (who often cope using long established habits and don't want to learn "new tricks").


My add: This is absolutely an enemy of growth and change! shhh..Methinks African leaders have this phobia. Or how can u explain to moi the reason why one person will wanna 'rule' till stupor?


4.Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia (literally, "fear of the number six hundred sixty-six") is the fear that originates in the Biblical verse Revelation 13:18 which indicates that the number 666 is the Number of the Beast, linked to Satan or the Anti-Christ. Outside the Christian faith, the phobia has been further popularized as a motif in various horror films. Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobes will strongly avoid things related to the number 666. A prominent example is of Nancy and Ronald Reagan who, in 1989, when moving to their home in the Bel-Air section of Los Angeles, had the address of 666 St. Cloud Road changed to 668 St. Cloud Road.Some women also expressed concern on giving birth to a child on June 6, 2006 (abbreviated 6/6/06)My add: Believe that Jesus is and this phobia will leave you fast! As simple as A-B-C!5.Xenophobia is an intense dislike and/or fear of people from other countries. It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "foreigner," "stranger," and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear." The term is typically used to describe a fear or dislike of foreigners or of people significantly different from oneself.


My add: This kinda explains why some people just have a problem with people who aint like them! It sucks! You see, it is a kind of phobia! Drop it! Stop it! It is evil! God hates it too. He loves all!. And even when we break His heart,He loves us still but only hates the sin factor in us.In case you like to see it from a psychologist's point of view,I read a book recently(last yr actually) and it may just help you see the abnormality in what u are doing,'The Psychology of Prejudice'' by Todd D. Nelson. The book is available here in Nigeria and proudly published by Pearson Education,UK (a parent company and 51% shareholder,Longman Nigeria Plc).


6.Astraphobia, also known as Brontophobia, Keraunophobia, or Tonitrophobia is an abnormal fear of thunder and lightning, a type of a specific phobia. It is quite common in dogs. Ceraunophobia is specifically the fear of thunder, but not lightning.


My add: I particularly added this one because I found it really funny! I av heard a long time ago of ow voo-doo peeps call on the god of thunder to 'catch' a person who has been accused of stealing a thing.The god is said to bring the thief to limelight and put the thing he stole right on his chest! lol! I want to believe that people in such environments will av this kinda phobia! lol! Just messing with you! But hey,it is again,just a phobia! ...let him who stole steal no more- Saint Paul.Shikena!


7.The fear of youth is called ephebiphobia: First coined as the "fear and loathing of teenagers,"today the phenomenon is recognized as the "inaccurate, exaggerated and sensational characterization of young people" in a variety of settings around the world.


My add: Stop hating. Just age gracefully and keep adding value each passing day! If you are old,or you think that you are,which is actually a thing or a state of your mind,appreciate young peeps! Afterall,it has been said that you can be 60 years young or 60 yrs old! Simply take your pick. Talk about perception,baby. Per-cep-tion!


8.Erotophobia is a term used by psychologists to describe sexuality on a personality scale. Erotophobes score high on one end of the scale that is characterized by expressions of guilt and fear about sex. Erotophobes are less likely to talk about sex, have more negative reactions to sexually explicit material, and have sex less frequently and with fewer partners over time. In contrast, erotophiles score high on the opposite end of the scale, erotophilia, which is characterized by expressing less guilt about sex, talking about sex more openly, and holding more positive attitudes toward sexually explicit material.


My add:Sex is beautiful in marriage! Why would anyone wanna sleep around?! The sin nature of course

Solution: the power of God can and will break the hold of it! (if u let Him) Talk about the one who can give you a more comprehensive lecture &insight into the whole thing about sex! Even erotophiles or the lecture about it cant do much for you!


9.Gerascophobia (Greek: gerasco, "I am ageing" and φόβος, phobos, "fear") is an abnormal or persistent fear of growing old or ageing. Gerascophobia is a clinical phobia generally classified under specific phobias, fear of a single specific panic trigger.Some authors also refer to it as gerontophobia, while others prefer to distinguish the fear/dislike of old age in general and the fear of one's own ageing. Gerascophobia is based on anxieties of being left alone, of being without resources and of being incapable of caring about oneself.Another like it is Gerontophobia which is the fear of growing old, or a hatred or fear of the elderly. Yet another in its class-Autophobia (or Monophobia) is the phobia of being alone. The word is derived from the Greek words autos ("self") and phobos ("fear"). A secondary meaning of the term is for the much rarer condition of true autophobia, that is, fear or mistrust of oneself.


My add:- I will never leave you nor forsake you! -God

.-Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on you own understanding,in all your ways,acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path do not be wise in your own eyes- King Solomon,the wisest man who ever lived and the successor of King David.

-Trust in the Lord,and do good.Dwell in the land ,and feed on His faithfulness.Delight yoourself also in the Lord and He shall give you the desires of your heart.Commit your way to the Lord,Trust also in Him,And He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light and your justice as the noonday- King David was endorsed,I mean certified by God, to be 'a man after my heart',so you berra listen to him!


10.Somniphobia is defined as "a persistent, abnormal, and unwarranted fear of sleep", and this condition causes thousands of people major distress every year.


My add:He(God) gives His beloved sleep! So ,go to sleep if you arent writing,reading or praying or nursing!


Key: Phobia,according to the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English(with CD) is a strong unreasonable fear of something.


Scriptures quoted in the order of use:

-Ephesians4:28

-Hebrews 13:5

-Proverbs 3:5-7a

-Psalm 37:3-6( I receommend the whole of the chapter)

-Psalm 127:2(d)


Awemoreborelanlay©

13022009

No comments: